Chapter 9: Running SmarterMail on IIS
Like SmarterStats, SmarterMail includes a simple, built-in web server.However, with IIS7, SmarterTools recommends (for improved performance) that you turn off the built-in web server and run SmarterMail off IISinstead. In this chapter, we'll show you how to do this in a few steps and also show you how to log into your mail server for the first time.
1. First, we'll need to turn off SmarterMail's built-in web server. Click the Windows Start button, then click on Computer
2. Double-click on SYSTEM (C:)
3. Double-click Program Files (x86)
4. Double-click SmarterTools
5. Double-click SmarterMail
6. Double-click Web Server
7. Double-click STWebConfig
8. On the "Web Server Config" dialog box, click Stop
. This will stop the SmarterMail web server.
9. On the "Startup Mode" drop down, select Disabled
10. Click Apply
for the new Startup Mode.
11. Click Close
12. Open up (or go to) IIS Manager, then click on the Sites
folder on the Connections pane.
13. Click Add Web Site...
on the Actions pane.
14. On the "Add Web Site" dialog box, enter in SmarterMail
for Site name. You'll see that an application pool is also created with the same name.
15. For "Physical path", click the browse
16. Browse to C: > Program Files (x86) > SmarterTools > SmarterMail > MRS
. Then click OK
17. Under the "Binding" section, select your Primary
IP address (the same IP address you set up your website with) from the drop down.
18. For "Host name," enter mail.developernirvana.com
(use your domain instead of developernirvana.com).
19. Be sure the box for "Start Web site immediately" is checked. Click OK
20. On your sites list, if SmarterMail shows a red "x" next to it, click the refresh button to be sure the "x" disappears.
21. Using a web browser not located on your server, visithttp://mail.yourdomain.com. Note that if you have not yet delegatedyour domain to point to the nameservers you set up in Chapter 2, orhave not allowed 24-72 hours for the DNS to fully propagate, yourdomain may not work yet from an outside location. If this is the case,visit http://mail.yourdomain.com on a web browser on your server.
Enter your System Admin username (that you set up after install in Chapter 8), your password, then click Login
22. Under the "Manage" menu options, expand the "Domains" node, then click All Domains
23. Here you will provide your your domain name
, your Primary IP address
, and a Domain Admin username and password
. As in SmarterStats, you have a System Admin login and you have an admin user login. The System Admin side allows you to control and manage the server side, while the admin user side gives you user access, like sending and receiving emails, creating new users, etc. This is the user you're creating on this step.
24. You will now see your domain listed on the "Domains" page.
25. Log out of the SmarterMail web interface, then re-log back into login page with your Admin User information.
26. Once logged in as an Admin User for the first time, you will be prompted to set your time zone. Then click Next
27. Click Finish
29. You are now logged in to SmarterMail as an Admin user.